Extra Credit | “The Feather Pillow”

A student 1 found this awesome stop motion film of Horacio Quiroga’s “The Feather Pillow” on YouTube and recommended that I check it out. It’s absolutely worth a watch. 2 Hearing the story in Spanish, however, definitely changes my interpretation of the story’s plot. Sometimes, when you translate a text from its original language, it is difficult to find the same precise word choice and things can become lost in translation. 

CHALLENGE | What do you think? Does watching this short film  change the way you interpreted “The Feather Pillow” and viewed the main characters? Was something lost in translation when “The Feather Pillow” was translated to English? Explain in detail with examples to support your ideas. 

Comment below and earn extra credit.3

*Extra Credit:

Activity

Points 

Points Verification Task(s)

• Watch the entire stop motion film (linked above).
  • Respond to the Challenge Questions.

Using your HCS info, add a detailed response in the “Comment Section” below.

*Comment before 11:59 pm on February 18, 2021.

1. Thank you Makaya B. for sharing this link with me.
  2. Please note: this YouTube video is in Spanish with English subtitles.
  3. Please note a detailed comment is comprised of 4-5 well-written sentences.

2 thoughts on “Extra Credit | “The Feather Pillow”

1. Outside Jordan’s Mansion their was a horse( I did not know that). I also in the story it said Alicia got anemia but in the video it said Alicia got the flu. Alicia had trouble seeing once she got the flu and fainted out of her bed. The Doctor has now came by Jordan’s house two times now and has no results for Alicia’s illness. In the video Jordan actually seemed to care about Alicia’s better than he did in the story. I think watching the video helped me interpret the The Feather Pillow better than the story because it’s visual. I also find it pretty cool how I can see the creature who killed Alicia. Their was nothing lost in translation, there was closed caption so I could follow a long in English. The video and the story perfectly matched.

1. Actually, in the story “The Feather Pillow, Alicia caught the flu first and her health never returned. However, I agree, the demeanor of the doctor in the video is definitely kinder than the portrayal in the story. However, did you notice any major “word choice” differences between what was said in the film versus what was said in the written story?